Djs. I interview them.
contact: le.fin.814@gmail.com

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Kosha Dillz


"Kosha Dillz is not only a clever play on words, but also presents a rarely seen culture clash in music. He voices his political opinions on foreign affairs and oppression with fresh rhymes. This makes him a universal voice..." URB MAGAZINE

"I've been listening to Kosha for the past couple nights, I let some of my Japanese friends listen as well and they definitely approve. His beats are sick. 'Hairychest to Hollywood', 'The Real Occupation' and 'Rollercoaster Baby' are my favs for now. Expect to hear him in the clubs over here." -Gio Attisano US Navy, Japan

MD: So let’s start off with you introducing yourself and tell us what you’ve been up to lately?

KD: Hey, I’m Kosha Dillz. I’m from a planet called New Jersey. My parents came from Israel along with my bros and I was born to be an amazing person. I think I’m doing a great job!

I’ve been helping people lately. I came to Indiana first on my Spare Change Tour and next I’m going on tour with Yak Ballz on the Aesop Rock Tour this summer.

MD: Tell me how you got the name Kosha Dillz.

KD: I honestly had it as Kosher Dill of A Jar then it was KD FLOW. I must’ve been ashamed to be Kosher so I shortened it. Then it became Kosha Dillz for my first record, it sort of rebirthed in the past 4 years when I really started recording. It’s a great name, I really think I’m the only one who has it or wants to have it, that is.

MD: You said four years ago, how long have you been in the business?

KD: Basically I’ve been on the NYC scene showing my face since 1999 but I came out in 2005 with my first 12'' record.

MD: What record was that?

KD: It was "Matzah 4 Yo Mouf ". Hairy Chest 2 Hollywood’, ‘Zone Out’ and ‘Get the Duh’ Featuring Yak Ballz. I put it out myself and there are only 50 copies left out there, at least in my basement. I sold lots of them, so soon to be extinct!

MD: I better get one :)

KD: I think they’re on EBAY!

MD: What message are you hoping to get out about Judaism in the hip hop scene?

KD: Many people associate Judaism with stereo types.etc. I try to get out a positive message in relation to Israel. I hope I convey the message to other Jews out there who don’t have many Jewish friends (especially in Midwest areas, southern rural) that it’s ok to be who you are. It’s cool to be Jewish. In fact it rules! (Just like it rules to be whatever you are) I hope to build esteem in our youngsters out there. I have to do this one person at a time.

MD: That is very true, do you have a specific DJ you like to work with?

KD: I really enjoy GI JOE who is Immortal Tehcniques DJ. DJ Abilities is really great I’m a big fan of his.
I have crushes on female DJs that are really good, but I guess that wouldn’t work out haha.
I feel DJ JS ONE from Rocksteady is the most legendary DJ out there. I bet there are some more guys too.

MD: If you don't have a mainstay DJ on your mixes than do you make your own beats?

KD: Well yeah it’s tough to find a DJ who is willing to roll for so little money; you have to pick the best DJ in each town. For example Wally Wonder in Bloomington and DJ Topspeed in Indy. Then the best DJ in the next town you know, you gotta keep reaching out. My boy Lefty is great in Columbus

MD: Who were your early influences?

KD: Nas, Biggie, Wu Tang, Rancid, Smashing Pumpkins, and Metallica.

MD: Who is your influence now?

KD: Hmm. My peers, Yak, C Rayz.

I do it for the kids. I really believe I can change the world one show at a time. The best experience that gave me a push to really do this was 3 and half years ago on stage with Matisyahu. It was in front of so many people and kind of put me on my quest with my faith and soul searching through music and it keeps elevating.

MD: How do you feel about the music download trend?

KD: well it helps artist like me get out there. Don’t try to stop the world by yourself because it won’t happen. You have to roll with the punches and innovate. We can’t stop the download craze so join in on the fun!

MD: Tell us about your upcoming tour. Who are you touring with and where will you be?

KD: I’m going out with Yak Ballz. The other is with Aesop Rock. I’ll be backing him up and doing some guest work on stage! I’m going to be in Boston, New Haven CT, Dc, Columbus Ohio, Chicago, Oshkosh Wisconsin, Sioux Falls South Dakota and Minnesota.

MD: When is your record coming out?

KD: Freestyle Vs Written, my collaboration record with C RAYZ WALZ! August 26th (my birthday) look for it on Itunes! October 14th I’ll be hitting the shelves in stores.

MD: Where can your fans go to purchase your merchandise?

KD: www.myspace.com/koshadillz4life there is a donation form for CDs and also an ‘Oy Vey’ t-shirt that’s really cool!

MD: Are you still selling the 'Jews have all the money' t-shirts?

KD: haha yeah those are limited to be printed upon request. It’s to counter act the stereo types

MD: Are there any last thoughts you’d like to express to your fans?

KD: If you don’t know how to be yourself, it’s ok. It all comes with practice. Also August 26th Itunes grab ‘Freestyle vs. Written’ the LP with C Rayz Walz and Kosha Dillz!

Check these sites:

www.koshadillz.blogspot.com
www.everyoneisjewish.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/koshadillz4life



No comments:

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter